Tim recounts his origin story and how it led him to the path he‘s on today. Very early he learned that “adaptability is essential”, looked himself in the mirror, asked the tough questions (who is Tim?), and committed to his purpose. But it wasn’t a straight-lined path…
Tim Salau is a purpose-driven community builder, entrepreneur and leader, in this episode, Tim talks about what is required when you live your life on purpose and with purpose.
Tim shares his origin story and how it led him to the path he‘s on today. Very early he learned that “adaptability is essential”, looked himself in the mirror, asked the tough questions (i.e. who is Tim?), and committed to his purpose. But it wasn’t a straight-lined path…
Tim was a young boy who came from Nigeria in 1999. Understand this. Understand people’s origin story, because it informs who they are today. Tim recounts: “Being a Nigerian-American man, that moved to America, I think that I eventually found my purpose and passion as a community builder because of the community I’ve grown in Texas and the community that I always find when I live in a different city”.
Tim is a community leader & keynote speaker who has taken his love for collaboration — global. Tim is the CEO of guide a social e-learning platform helping high school students learn essential life skills from their favorite creators. Tim leads the Future of Work with WeWork as their Global Evangelist, and the founder of “Mentors & Mentees, a Guide community”, a 10,000+ member community for students and professionals who want to take control of their careers to achieve career fulfillment and thrive in the Future of Work.
Connect with Tim Salau:
Here are the show notes from Tim’s episode and some of my favourite moments…
I live to strengthen the bonds that people share through compassionate and empathic action.
- Nothing is promised to you. [5:00]
- You will always have a community to elevate you in your darkest of times. [5:50]
- Why Tim built Mentors and Mentees [7:22]
- People were reaching out to me about support and advice. People thought that I had all the “magic”. They didn’t realize that it was really just grit and perseverance, I hustled to get myself an opportunity at Google as a UX Researcher.
- I second guessed myself on if this was something that I should do. I did it anyways on that faithful day on October 2018. I realized: what do I have to lose? What do I have to lose by just creating a space for people to learn from each other? [10:56]
- What reinforced Tim’s decision to go ahead and do it? And what really gave him this lens that allowed him to go for it, grow it, and mold it. When you have a clearly defined purpose for yourself, you always need to do and pursue the things that line back to that. [11:27]
- You have to build yourself intrinsically, in order to create a legacy that you are proud of. [14:00]
- I understood which opportunities were for me and the opportunities that were not. [21:20]
- “When it comes to your career, you are in the business of entrepreneurship. No one else can define your career. No one.” [38:42]
- When I feel as if everything in the world is not working in my favour, but then you have to ask yourself are YOU creating YOUR own favour. How are you creating favour in your life? [43:14]
- When you start creating, you start creating fulfillment and joy. Because when you are creating something that you are passionate about and you can see meaning in, everything else will become clear to you. [43:44]
Loving the podcast? I encourage you to use the hashtag #PowerofWhy on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn to show how you are living out and exploring YOUR WHY.
You can connect with Tim Salau here:
- Work with Tim: https://www.timsalau.com/
- Join the Mentors and Mentees Community: https://www.facebook.com/MentorsandMentees/
- Message Tim on Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/timsalau/
- Tweet Tim: https://twitter.com/timsalau
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/timsalau/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thetimsalau
You can connect with Naomi Haile here:
- Website: www.naomihaile.com
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/naomiahaile/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/naomihail/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/naomiathaile
Thank you for listening to this episode with Tim Salau.
Until next time,