This talk with Xiomara Rosa-Tedla discusses her journey building a business and some of the activities Xioamara partook in when promoting UnoEth. Xiomara engages with and is deeply immersed with her community. I received a lot of value from this episode as Xiomara shares how she has connected her business to her home and roots in Ethiopia.
Born and raised in Sacramento, CA, Xiomara Rosa-Tedla is one-half of the Oakland, father-daughter duo behind UnoEth. Whether it’s long journeys or daily commutes, she yearned for classic and casual styles with a story. After a trip to Ethiopia, her father, Dagne Tedla, brought several leather goods home as gifts for friends and family, only to realize that he needed to go back to Addis Ababa for more! Thus, the birth of UnoEth began.
Upon embarking on this new adventure and with a background in Merchandising and Marketing, Xiomara only wanted to deliver quality and timeless pieces that could be worn for years on end, surpassing trendy styles and fads. All UnoEth goods are handmade, 100% Ethiopian leather, and crafted by artisans and small businesses in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Connect with Xiomara:
Watch the episode on YouTube! Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, or on your favourite podcast platform. Below are the show notes from the episode and highlights that Xiomara has shared based on her experiences.
The Show Notes
- Strangers would stop Xiomara on the street and were curious where they could get a big like hers – ideas can come from anywhere [2:30]
- Xiomara and Dagne attended shows, were in markets, started promoting on social media and store-owners were asking if they could hold UnoEth products in their stores. [5:00]
- What the learning curve was like starting a business [7:20]
- The importance of delegating work that doesn’t need to be done by you [8:28]
- How Xiomara approaches local artisans that she would like to partner with, while she travels [15:00]
- What Xiomara believes differentiates her business from other businesses in the market [16:00]
- What comprises Xiomara’s “Power Hour”? This is how she starts her day. [18:50]?
- The biggest risk that Xiomara took and how it paid off so well for her. With regards to her happiness, fulfillment and perspective on opportunity. [21:00]
- One of the biggest risks that Xiomara took in her business. She talks about trying things and realizing that we’re all going to take L’s in life. Try things [23:00]
- How Xiomara planned and the activities she did to prepare herself before she left her job, to work full-time on UnoEth [24:00]
- Is entrepreneurship lonely? How she is building a support network and community. [28:00]
- Xiomara’s words of wisdom for folks who feel stuck on their idea [31:50]
Xiomara’s WHY is to empower others while empowering herself through her love of travel. Reaching back to her Ethiopian roots and helping her family are what drives her to continue to excel and work hard.
You can watch the YouTube video and our live reactions here:
Cool Things Referenced
- The Gary Vee Audio Experience with Gary Vaynerchuk
- Girlboss with Sophia Amoruso
- Tony Robbins Podcast
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- The Power of Positive Thinking by Norman Vincent Peale
- The Secret by Rhonda Byrne
Social Media Tools
Loving the podcast? I encourage you to use the hashtag #PowerofWhyPodcast Instagram, Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn to show how you are living out your WHY.
Until next time,